Respect Life Program: Be Not Afraid
October 2017 - September 2018
Intercession: May God's loving presence strengthen us to be not afraid.
Prayers: Our Father, 3 Hail Marys, Glory Be
Reflection: "My dear friends in Christ:
Once again, we mark the month of October as Respect Life Month. Looking back over the last year, there's been a lot of uncertainty, suffering, and heartache. Between tragedies that occur in the public eye and trials that take place in our personal lives, there's no shortage of reasons we cry out to God.
Excerpted from the
2017 Respect Life
At such times, we may feel alone and unequipped to handle the circumstances. But we have an anchor of hope to cling to. With words that echo through thousands of years into the corners of our hearts, God says to us, 'Do not fear: I am with you' (Isaiah 41:10).
The 2017-2018 Respect Life theme, 'Be Not Afraid,' reminds us of this promise.
...There are times we may doubt the value of our own lives or falter at the thought of welcoming and embracing the life of another. But reflecting on the healed wounds of the Risen Christ, we can see that even our most difficult trials can be the place where God manifests his victory. He makes all things beautiful. He makes all things new. He is the God of redemption…" (Read full statement.)
Acts of Reparation (choose one):
- "Unplug" for some time this week praying in silence with a short reflection on the theme "Be Not Afraid."
- Who in your life is facing challenging times? Consider how you can bring them Christ's comforting presence, and choose one or two simple ways to do so in the next couple weeks.
- This month, spend an hour with Jesus in Eucharistic Adoration.
The Respect Life Program begins anew each year on Respect Life Sunday, the first Sunday in October, to call attention to numerous human life issues. Join us in prayer and action as together we work to protect the most vulnerable around us and work to bring the joy of the Gospel's life giving message.
“Every Life is Worth Living” Reflections for Respect Life Month, October 2015,
by Cardinal Seán P. O’Malley, O.F.M. Cap. Archbishop of Boston
- Love 101: Back to Basics
- 10 Surprising Tips for Love the Culture Won't Tell You
- 10 Ways to Support Her When She's Unexpectedly Expecting
- A Perfect Gift
- Love, Sex, and Sterilization
- Maggie's Story: Living like Dad
- Supporting Families Who Receive a Prenatal Diagnosis
9 Days for Life
9 Days for Life is a focused period of prayer, penance, and pilgrimage. Surrounding the anniversary of Roe v. Wade, this novena has as its overarching intention the end to abortion.
- Summary of novena and other resources - English | en español
- Flyer - English | en español
- Novena - English | en español
Children's Activities and Parent/Catechist Resources